Monday, September 20, 2010

Welcome to Barcelona!

So its only taken me two and half weeks to write about the beginning of the Barcelona adventure. Bear with me as I try to bring you up so speed.

We left Toledo around 9am on Thursday September 3rd. We had 9 hours in the bus to look forward to. Naturally, everyone slept for pretty much the whole bus ride. We woke up as we were entering the city and everyone all of a sudden was wide awake and jittery with anticipation. My soon to be roommate, Nikki, and I were getting anxious to meet our SeƱora and see where we would be living for the next 4 months. As we pulled up to the meeting point, all the families were standing around with signs for their students. We spotted our names and I instantly felt nauseated, I was SO nervous! Our Madre de acogina (or host mom) is a very petite 73 year old woman named Rafaela. She is absolutely adorable and is so sweet. The three of us hopped in a cab and headed for our new home. Barcelona is divided up into "barrios" or neighborhoods and we live in an area called Gracia. It is a little ways outside of the hustle and bustle of the city center but a very easy metro ride to where we need to go. We got to the apartment and met the landlord who is also a very nice man. After managing to get our bags into the apartment and into our room, Rafaela showed us the closets and draws and how to open the window. Let the unpacking begin. (For anyone that has seen me move, you know the unpacking is a disaster for me). I managed to get everything unpacked and put away in a couple of hours (not too hard since I only had one suitcase) and then it was time for dinner. Again, Nikki and I were super nervous. We sit down for dinner and start the Spanish conversation. I tried my best and managed to do alright. Nikki doesn't speak any Spanish so I was trying to play translator. We also learned that Rafaela speaks absolutely no English. She pulled out a book of basic foods and asked us what we do and do not like and then we finished up dinner.

As the night went on both of us started to relax and become more comfortable in our new home and looked forward for the adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment